Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time approx. 5 working days
- Published: Pieter Goos , Amsterdam
- Published date: 1666
- Technique: Copper engraving / Original color.
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Issue date: 1666
- Category: Westcoast of Africa
- Size: 443 by 538mm (17½ by 21¼ inches).
- Bibliography: Koeman IV (Maritime Atlases), Goos pp. 190 ff.
- Stock number: 23741
- Condition: Printed on double thick paper. The paper slightly toned or stained. A small carefully mended tear at the upper left side. In very good to excellent condition.
Copper engraving, finely hand colored in outline, when published. Partially heightened in gold. A highly decorative sea chart showing the West African coast from Gambia towards South Africa. The map is orientated with the north to the left. In the upper left corner we find a decorative ornated title cartouche, further the map is equipped with two compass roses. Pieter Goos was 'one of the best known maritime booksellers of Amsterdam' (Koeman), he published a number of different sea-atlases or pilot books, his work was very much derivative. With his 'Zee-Atlas' he relied heavily on Hendrick Doncker's 'Zee-Atlas' of 1659. Our example of Pieter Goos chart 'Pas-Caart van Gvinea en de Custen ...' was published in an early composit sea-atlas published probably around 1665/66. This map is printed on excellent thick double paper, it stands out through the highly decorative hand colors and the partially heightening of gold in title cartouches, mileage scales, compass roses or other places. P. Goos is well known for his quality of the engraving, as his father also was a skilled engraver, he always tried to produce visually appealing sea charts.
Koeman IV (Maritime Atlases), Goos pp. 190 ff.