Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: G. Braun & F. Hogenberg , Cologne
- Published date: 1572
- Technique: Copper engraving / Original color.
- Issue date: 1572-78
- Category: Trier, Koblenz und Rothenburg
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Size: 387 by 470mm (15¼ by 18½ inches).
- Bibliography: I / 36
- Stock number: 11904
- Condition: Old colored when published. In very good condition, the view of Rothenburg with an old mended split at the centre fold and a narrow margin at the bottom, which was skilfully added with paper from the period.
Original copper engraving, hand colored in wash published ca. 1572-78 in volume I of the famous town book 'Civitates Orbis Terrarum' by Braun and Hogenberg. Decorative hand colored in the period when published. The entire series of the 'Civitates Orbis Terrarum' comprised six volumes and was published and printed from 1572 towards 1619 in Cologne. This decorative map shows three towns on one double page: Trier, Koblenz and Rothenburg all as panoramic city views. The views are equipped with many details of engraved houses, churches and its city walls. Every print has a cartouche with an Latin text. Verso descriptive German text.
Treveris - Typus ac situzs Antiquissimae et praecipuae Mediomatricum civitatis Trevirensis - Cobolentz - Situs ciuitatis confluentinae; Germanis Koblentz ubi Mosella fluuius Rheno miscetur - Rotenburg - Rotenburgum ad Tubarum; elegans Franconiae oppidum Hierosolomytanae urbis; situ resondere dicitur; á turrium et tegular rubore; nomen habens; osim proprijs ducibus paruit; nunc imperio; post Friderici primi Secula; acceßit.
I / 36