Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Th. Bowles and John Bowles , London
- Published date: 1708
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Category: Asia
- Technique: Copper engraving / Original color
- Issue date: 1708-26
- Size: 582 by 972mm (23 by 38¼ inches).
- Bibliography: Phillips (Atlases), 554.
- Stock number: 29231
- Condition: The map was printed from two plates. Due to the large size it was often published several folded in Hermann Moll's atlases. Our example is in outstanding excellent condition, which was published plano and has wide margins, too. Overall n excellent condition.
Copper engraving, original hand colored in outline when published. This antique map was published in Hermann Moll's atlas ,The World Described, or a New and Correct Sett of Maps ... , in London at J. & T. Bowles circa 1708-26. A highly decorative map of the of the entire Asian continent from the Middle East across Central Asia towards the Far East with Korea and Japan, further including in the southeastern Papua New Guinea. Decorated in the upper corner with seven inset maps: Nova Zembla, the Hellespont, Gulf of Smyrna, the British factories in Chusan and Amoy and the Hugli River. The geographer Hermann Moll came originally from the Netherlands and worked in London in the beginning for Moses Pitt. Later he became one of the important map publishers in England. The atlases, which he published were widely well known. He engraved as well maps for other English publishers (John Seller, etc.).
Phillips (Atlases), 554.