Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Amsterdam
- Published date: 1590
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Technique: Copper engraving / Uncolored
- Issue date: 1590
- Category: world map by Plancius
- Size: 282 by 505mm (11 by 20 inches).
- Bibliography: Shirley 177 (state 3); Schilder map 17
- Stock number: 27968
- Condition: A very good impression, left and right margins trimmed to the engraved border line and re-margined. These repairs are skillfully done and are only visible on very close inspection. In very good condition.
Article descriptionCopper engraving, uncolored as published. Engraved by Baptista Doetecum. Verso with Dutch text. Rare world map, first published in 1590. The map is based on Rumold Mercartor´s world map of 1587. It includes improvements, which were made by Abraham Ortelius, a re-shaped South America and includes the Salomon Islands in the Pacific Ocean. Plancius included new information of the Portuguese explorations on the west coast of America and the western African coast line. Japan is shown for the first time (not entirely correctly) as one small and three larger islands. This is state 3, in which Plancius's name in the title has been erased and replaced by ,D.R.M. Mathes'. It is unknown, who is represented by the initials ,D.R.M.' or whether ,Mathes' is a surname or may be an abbreviation for ,mathematician' (Shirley).
Shirley 177 (state 3); Schilder map 17