Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Antwerp
- Published date: 1574
- Issue date: 1574
- Technique: Copper engraving / later hand color
- Category: Tirol
- Type: map
- Size: 34 by 260mm (1¼ by 10¼ inches).
- Bibliography: Broe. 116a (K/M:62a, K:1/89)
- Stock number: 32793
- Condition: In excellent condition.
Article descriptionCopper engraving, hand colored in wash. Latin text edition. , Tirolis Comitatus' a fine engraved map depicting of the county of Tirol after Wolfgang Lazius published in a 1574 Latin text edition of the ,Theatrum Orbis Terrarum' by Abraham Ortelius. Abraham Ortelius published this map between 1573 until 1612 in various editions of his atlas ,Theatrum Orbis Terrarum'. From the 1574 Latin text edition only 175 copies were published. A fine a decorative 16th century map of Tirol. With many engraved details as some place names, rivers, mountains, lakes, small villages, cities. Place names are still engraved as miniature views. At the bottom the ,privilegium' and a dedication to Wolfgang Lazius. Ortelius was born on 14 April 1527 in the city of Antwerp, which was then in the Habsburg Netherlands (modern-day Belgium). The Orthellius family were originally from Augsburg, a Free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1535, the family had fallen under suspicion of Protestantism. Following the death of Ortelius's father, his uncle Jacobus van Meteren returned from religious exile in England to take care of Ortelius. Abraham remained close to his cousin Emanuel van Meteren, who would later move to London. In 1575 he was appointed geographer to the king of Spain, Philip II, on the recommendation of Arias Montanus, who vouched for his orthodoxy. He travelled extensively in Europe and is specifically known to have traveled throughout the Seventeen Provinces; in southern, western, northern, and eastern Germany (e.g., 1560, 1575–1576); France (1559–1560); England and Ireland (1576); and Italy (1578, and perhaps twice or thrice between 1550 and 1558). Beginning as a map-engraver, in 1547 he entered the Antwerp Guild of Saint Luke as an illuminator of maps. He supplemented his income trading in books, prints, and maps, and his journeys included yearly visits to the Frankfurt book and print fair, where he met Gerardus Mercator in 1554. In 1560, however, when travelling with Mercator to Trier, Lorraine, and Poitiers, he seems to have been attracted, largely by Mercator's influence, towards the career of a scientific geographer. (Wikipedia)
Broe. 116a (K/M:62a, K:1/89)