Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Antwerp
- Published date: 1612
- Technique: Copper engraving / Uncolored
- Issue date: 1612
- Category: Lower Austria
- Type: map
- Size: 356 by 486mm (14 by 19 inches).
- Bibliography: Broe. 106
- Stock number: 33376
- Condition: In excellent condition.
Original antique copper engraving, published 1612 in a Italian Vrients edition of the " Theatrum Orbis Terrarum'. Uncolored example in a strong impression as published. This is the second plate of the Austria map after Wolfgang Lazius published for the first time in the "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum" after 1595. Here present in the 1612 edition. A highly decorative early map of the duchy of Austria, towns are still shown as miniature engraved city views, mountains, woods, rivers and lakes are decorative engraved. In the lower right corner a milage scale with a coat of arms. In the center of the map we find Vienna. The map reaches in the west from Linz towards the Neusiedler lake in the east. In the south with the neighbouring Carintia and Salzburg. Ortelius was born on 14 April 1527 in the city of Antwerp, which was then in the Habsburg Netherlands (modern-day Belgium). The Orthellius family were originally from Augsburg, a Free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1535, the family had fallen under suspicion of Protestantism. Following the death of Ortelius's father, his uncle Jacobus van Meteren returned from religious exile in England to take care of Ortelius. Abraham remained close to his cousin Emanuel van Meteren, who would later moved to London. In 1575 he was appointed geographer to the king of Spain, Philip II, on the recommendation of Arias Montanus, who vouched for his orthodoxy. He travelled extensively in Europe and is specifically known to have traveled throughout the Seventeen Provinces; in southern, western, northern, and eastern Germany (e.g., 1560, 1575–1576); France (1559–1560); England and Ireland (1576); and Italy (1578, and perhaps twice or thrice between 1550 and 1558). Beginning as a map-engraver, in 1547 he entered the Antwerp Guild of Saint Luke as an illuminator of maps. He supplemented his income trading in books, prints, and maps, and his journeys included yearly visits to the Frankfurt book and print fair, where he met Gerardus Mercator in 1554. In 1560, however, when travelling with Mercator to Trier, Lorraine, and Poitiers, he seems to have been attracted, largely by Mercator's influence, towards the career of a scientific geographer. (Wikipedia)