Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Liverpool
- Published date: 1860
- Category: Netherlands
- Issue date: 1860
- Technique: Lithograph / Original color
- Type: map
- Size: 60.5 x 52 cm (23.75 x 20,5 inches).
- Stock number: 33419
- Condition: In excellent condition.
Lithograph, original hand colored in outline. Decorative double page hand colored lithograph antique map, showing detailed the Netherlands. Hand colored decorative in outline and wash when published, piano key border. Philip, George. George Philip was born in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, to a staunchly Calvinist family. In 1819 George travelled to Liverpool where his brother Robert, who was a nonconformist minister, lived. Here George made his home and in 1819 George became assistant to the Liverpool bookseller, William Grapel. In 1834, Philip set up his own business as a bookseller and stationer in Paradise Street, Liverpool. He rapidly expanded the business by producing books, particularly educational works and maps. Within his first year of trading to keep up with demand he had to move his business into larger premises at the Atlas Buildings in South Castle Street. George and his wife Jane had a daughter Jane (born 1827) and one son, George (1823–1902). In 1848, George Jr. was admitted as a partner into the family publishing business now called George Philip & Son Ltd. During the early 1840s George Philip opened and ran a bookseller's and stationer's shop in South Castle Street, Liverpool, and it was during this period he laid the foundations for building and expanding his publishing empire from which he would eventually amass a substantial fortune. His son George Jr. (1823-1902), along with his nephew Thomas Dash Philip (1829-1913), and Philip's daughter Jane Jr. (who served behind the counter), assisted him in the shop at South Castle Street. Both George Jr. and Thomas would, in time, head the family-run business. In 1851 the England Census shows George Philip senior and his family resided in a grand town house at 21 Great George Square, Westside, situated in Liverpool's prestigious and affluent Georgian quarter. (Wikipedia)