Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Free of shipping costs!
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Cologne
- Published date: 1618
- Type: map
- Technique: Copper engraving / hand colored.
- Issue date: 1617-18
- Category: Przemysl
- Size: 350 by 490mm (13¾ by 19¼ inches).
- Bibliography: Van der Krogt 4, 3481; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.490.
- Stock number: 32189
- Condition: In excellent condition. Verso text in latin.
Original copper engraving, hand colored, published around 1617-1 in the famous townbook 'Civitates Orbis Terrarum' by Georg Braun and Franz Hogenberg. The entire series of the 'Civitates Orbis Terrarum' comprised six volumes and was published and printed from 1572 towards 1619. The plan of Przemysl was published in volume VI, Latin text edition. The plate shows Przemysl from the north beside the river San. The city is protected by three mighty bastion-like gates, towers and a wall. It is dominated by the town hall in the middle, to the left of which is the church of the Franciscans. The cathedral of St John, a three-nave late Gothic hall church, is on the right, next to the city wall. In the upper right-hand corner the royal castle dating from the 14th century can be identified. Przemysl belonged originally to the empire of Kievan Rus' and passed to Poland only in 1344. The city prospered in the 16th century. In this period many imposing town houses were built, which can still be seen today in the well-preserved Old Town, as a witness to the city's past wealth as a centre of trade. Przemysl lies on the border with Ukraine in Subcarpathia. (Taschen)
Van der Krogt 4, 3481; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.490.