Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Balthasar Moretus , Antwerp
- Published date: 1592
- Technique: Copper engraving / Uncolored
- Issue date: 1592
- Category: Travels of St. Paul in the Mediterranean Sea
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Size: 352 by 502mm (13¾ by 19¾ inches).
- Bibliography: Broe. 181 State 2 of 2
- Stock number: 20913
- Condition: A strong impression. In excellent condition.
Original copper engraving, uncolored as published, published 1592 in a Latin text edition of the 'Theatrum Orbis Terrarum' by Abraham Ortelius. Fascinating decorative map, published in Ortelius' Theatrum Orbis Terrarum and later on in his historical atlas the 'Parergon', showing the peregrinations of St. Paul in the Eastern Mediterranean. This highly decorative map is ornated with two cartouches, on top in the middle we find the title cartouche, framed by two historical biblical scenes in oval, at the bottom one cartouche with 3 lines of text from the Bible (2. Corinth. 5). The map is further ornated with two ships and a sea monster in the Mediterranean Sea.
Broe. 181 State 2 of 2