Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Published: Antwerpen
- Published date: 1595
- Type: Antique Map, map
- Technique: Copper engraving / later hand color
- Issue date: 1603
- Size: 363 by 504mm (14 by 19 inches).
- Bibliography: Koe. Ort. 46; Broe. 192 ( Theatrum 16o3 Latin text edition signature ix); Shirley (1991) maps 186 (pl. 71), 259a, 365.
- Stock number: 23753
- Condition: In excellent condition.
Article descriptionOriginal antique copper engraving, published 1603 at J.B. Vrients in an edition of Abraham Ortelius' Theatrum. Finely hand colored in wash and outline. This antique historical map was published from 1595 to 1624 onwards in various edition of the Theatrum and the Parergon by Ortelius. Verso Latin text, last line of text ends ,putant' and with signature ix. The map is ornated with three cartouches, in the upper middle the title cartouche, in the upper right corner we find a cartouche with the "privilegium". On the lower right side cartouche with text. Villages and towns are shown as miniature views, moreover the map is ornated with ships. Ortelius was born on 14 April 1527 in the city of Antwerp, which was then in the Habsburg Netherlands (modern-day Belgium). The Orthellius family were originally from Augsburg, a Free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1535, the family had fallen under suspicion of Protestantism. Following the death of Ortelius's father, his uncle Jacobus van Meteren returned from religious exile in England to take care of Ortelius. Abraham remained close to his cousin Emanuel van Meteren, who would later move to London. In 1575 he was appointed geographer to the king of Spain, Philip II, on the recommendation of Arias Montanus, who vouched for his orthodoxy. He travelled extensively in Europe and is specifically known to have traveled throughout the Seventeen Provinces; in southern, western, northern, and eastern Germany (e.g., 1560, 1575–1576); France (1559–1560); England and Ireland (1576); and Italy (1578, and perhaps twice or thrice between 1550 and 1558). Beginning as a map-engraver, in 1547 he entered the Antwerp Guild of Saint Luke as an illuminator of maps. He supplemented his income trading in books, prints, and maps, and his journeys included yearly visits to the Frankfurt book and print fair, where he met Gerardus Mercator in 1554. In 1560, however, when travelling with Mercator to Trier, Lorraine, and Poitiers, he seems to have been attracted, largely by Mercator's influence, towards the career of a scientific geographer. (Wikipedia)
Natalibvs Ingenio et Doctrina Illvstri Reverendoqve Domino D. Georgio ab Avstria, Praeposito Harlebecensi, ac Sereniss. Principi Cardinali Archidvce A Cvbicvlis, Abrah. Ortelius R.M.Geog. L.M. dedicab.
Koe. Ort. 46; Broe. 192 ( Theatrum 16o3 Latin text edition signature ix); Shirley (1991) maps 186 (pl. 71), 259a, 365.